Sunday 15 June 2008

Of Clouds and Inspiration


A bit of a cheat this one. I'm rather partial to haiga. Technically, a haiga should be a brush drawing that creates a juxtaposition with the haiku that accompanies it, but in this technological age it is more regularly seen using photographs. Click on the image for a larger size*

As an aside, if you're at all interested in the haiku form, look up Matsuo Basho, the master of it.



I gave up smoking last year (hurrah!) but even so, I was too late to the habit to be able to collect cigarette cards. It doesn't mean I don't try to collect them when I can. This set of 100 Cinema Stars (of which I have about 20) was issued by Gallaher Ltd. Wht an utter delight they are. I picked them up with the intent of using the images to inspire characters for my nezt novel, Halcyon Days, which will be set partly in Laverstone in the 20s.

The cards have sat in front of my monitor screen ever since.



It's literally the middle of June. Why has someone lost a woolly glove on the pavement. I saw this on my walk with the dogs earlier. How utterly bizarre. Still, it made a good composition.

Lost, one woollen glove
in an adult man's size (large) -
save it for winter.





*Also for the One Single Impression prompt transience

6 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Well, the glove sure inspired a poem. Glad you went for a walk! Nice texture in both!

Raven said...

I like your cloud poem! Sort of nice to think of them as stepping stones. Nice statue of Matsuo Basho too. And I enjoyed the cards (she looks so romantic and perfect for an Agatha Cristie character) and the glove poem. You crammed quite a bit in to one short post.

indicaspecies said...

I'm here from OSI. Lovely Haiku of Clouds, and I think it's a great idea to embed it right into the picture.:)

SandyCarlson said...

I suppose we must step swiftly from cloud to cloud! The glove piques my imagination, too. Poignant. A cast off or a lost prized possession? And who is cold?

Thanks for participating, Rachel.

Writing in Faith: Poems

spacedlaw said...

The glove poetry fits in snuggly...
What? A new blog again? Just how many do you have?

gautami tripathy said...

That haiga is very good..stepping stones, I like that...


yearning