Monday 16 June 2008

Charlotte and Melissa


I'm currently reading an excellent book: Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson.

Human Croquet is about a girl, Isobel Fairfax, who lives with her father who left her when she was eight(?) and then came back, seven years later, Vinny, who's her emotionless and grumpy aunt, her stepmother, Debbie, who's nearly the same age as her, and her alien-obsessed brother. Her mother disappeared little before her father left her and her brother. Human Croquet is a wonderfully bizarre book, full of twists and fascinating, deep characters.

It comes to mind because two of the characters are called Melissa and Charlotte; names I've been using for Harold's grandmother and great-aunt. I hope no-one thinks I nicked them from here. - I've been using them for years.


Here's something that makes me happy - royalty payments from the three books I have for sale here

I only make a pound or two on each self-published book, but it's jolly gratifying to get a small sum I wasn't expecting. This one covers a three month period. I don't thing I'll be living on my writing for a while yet. I'm in the process of making up a fourth book, one of haiga.

Wheat stalks and Gas stand

I spotted this on the street as I walked the dogs this morning. The gas stand, a little roadside cupboard, is about two feet high and the wheat two-thirds of that. Delightful.

I shall look forward to it ripening.

No comments: