Tuesday 8 July 2008

Cranebills and Nightshades

You'll have to click to enlarge but this is an example of wild geranium (cranesbill) growing on the side of a moderately busy street against an old post and rail fence. There were several clumps of it, too. I have some in the front garden but it's a much pinker colour than this.

Watch the council come and mow it away. All the comfrey in the field has been cut down now.






A toadstool that appeared in the field and a great lump of fungi on the trunk of one of the trees in the cemetery. I'm not good with fungi. I can recognise one or two species but not these. Any takers?



I love makeshift fencing. The ingenuity of some people - myself included - who make fences out of anything to hand. This one utilises and old fireguard and has conifer branches. Presumably they were green once and disguised it.

At the bottom of my garden, a small bicycle has been used to stop the dogs getting onto the huge compost heap.




Belladonna aka Deadly Nightshade.

It humbles me how easily cuttings of this beautiful plant root in water. I use it all over the garden as a climber. It's a pity that it's variegated cousin isn't nearly so vigorous.

4 comments:

aims said...

Do you think you could take a pic of comfey for me? I don't know what it looks like.

The wild geraniums....geraniums being my -favorite- flower...oh so beautiful!

As for the fungi ...I'm hopeless too. Just know enough not to eat any that I don't find in the grocery store. But fried with butter and garlic...grrrrrrrrrrr.....is that my stomach calling?

Rachel Green said...

If I can find more comfrey I will take a photo of course :) I love geraniums too - almost as much as lupins. I love mushrooms :)

BT said...

I had some of those geraniums in my garden at the flat. There are hundreds of varieties apparently. We've been having a big discussion on fungi on an Irish site, countrytalkandtips. One guy on there knows quite a bit but even he's wary of which ones he eats.

I remember the lupin story now!

Pity you didn't see our make do fence between our allotment and the field next door. Lovely old bits of corrugated iron, wood, string and bits of willow stuck in, some of which are now growing! Did you plant survive?

Rachel Green said...

I won't eat fungi unless I'm absolutely sure. I love the wild geraniums though I've only ever seen blue and mauve ones.

I do wish I'd seen your makeshift fence too. Next time!

The elder tree survived appily and is just coming to terms ith its new pot. Is is trying to turn green though, for some reason.