Thursday 10 July 2008

Houses and Nightshades

As Gina suggested, here are pictures of the scummier parts of where we live...


This is the back of our house as viewed from the street at the bottom of the garden. If you click on it you can see the window of our dressing room - the one above the kitchen - really clearly.

With that in mind, I really must stop getting undressed with the curtains open at night.


This is the gennel we go through to get to the local shop. In the centre of the photograph is an area between two roads large enough for ten houses. There used to be a path between them open to the public but this has very recently become a small gated community - not surprising as this is a really rough area at night and twenty plus young lads used to congregate there and sit on the pensioners' walls.


This is one of my latest plant acquisitions. It's a member of the solanum family, an annual that spreads it's seeds well, I'm told. It really is beautiful. Then again, there isn't a member of the Nightshade family that I don't like.


When I got back from walking the dogs I was pleasantly surprised to find the washing up done and the kitchen cleaned. "I can cope with cleaning fairies," I thought. It wasn't fairies, though, it was a Dolly.





I had an e-mail from my sister today - just a brief note to say she was online again after an absence of a year or so. I asked her:

Which website did you find me on?

I currently run a few –

This one - my ‘three photos a day blog
http://leatherdykeuk.blogspot.com/ - Harold and Jasfoup
http://jasfoup.blogspot.com/ - Jasfoup’s daily
http://leatherdykeuk.wordpress.com/ - A novel in a chapter-a-week
plus my personal poetry and daily - http://leatherdykeuk.livejournal.com – (you’d need a livejournal account for that one) and my ‘buy my books’ page at www.leatherdyke.co.uk

I also have www.jasfoup.co.uk and www.jasfoup.com. Is that greedy of me?

9 comments:

aims said...

Of course it's not greedy! I think it's wonderful that you get so much written!

Now tell me - what's a gennel?

aims said...

ps. you forgot authornation.com

Rachel Green said...

A gennel is a small alleyway between two houses.

I didn't forget that -- if I listed all the sites I'm a member of You'd have to scroll the page twice!

Shullie said...

we say Jennel.... coz I am from south yorks.. ;).. I wonder how many words for it there are????

Rachel Green said...

My version has the soft 'g' too - There are a few, I think. I've heard perhaps four or five names for it.

aims said...

We just say alley or alleyway.

Rachel Green said...

Yes, perfectly acceptable :)

BT said...

It wasn't a serious suggestion, Rach. lol. I'd never heard the word gennel before I came to Derbys. We always used alley. Jitty is another I believe. Or did I make that up?

Good to hear from you sister R?

Rachel Green said...

Heh - no worries. Endless pictures of the cemetery can get tedious.

Yes, Jitty is another name for gennel / alleyway.

and yes, it was good to hear from Susan - she's the sister I'm very fond of.