Saturday 19 July 2008

Skips, bins, currants and critics


Another skip, this one full of kitchen waste and absolute rubbish. It wouldn't surprise me if the police raided it. What a disgusting house, too. This is just around the corner from us on the 'other' side of the street.


Far more pleasant, this.

After finding raspberries and gooseberries on the dog walking field, today I find ripe black currants. How super. I managed to pick a sweet handful.

Alas, cuttings to be taken in autumn and kept in a nursery bed for up to 2 years. I don't have space for that.



Remember the picture of the lily in the waste bin yesterday?

This bare patch is where the waste bin was. I don't know what it did to deserve execution.


And because I can...

This shot from the garden of Kay's Aunt Mirada, whose birthday party we went to today.

She is the most delightful of English ladies, and I wouldn't be upset if I were like her when I grow up.

She's partly responsible for An Ungodly Child, too, since she used to be an editor and gave the book a brief critique which encouraged me to rewrite it from start to finish.

5 comments:

BT said...

Of course it would be on the 'other' side of the street! Didn't have you down as a snob..

Jim has made blackcurrant jelly. Delightful. He hopes to win at the Gort Show.

The mystery of the disappearing waste bin... bit long for a book title. Hope the party went well. I'm jealous I missed it.

Rachel Green said...

It was a lovely party. Very gentle, though alcohol flowed freely and Rachel had made a marvelous spread.

Miranda hasn't changed a bit since I saw her last.

aims said...

Ick on the ugly bin...ick ick ick..and poo that they actually live on your street. We have a nasty one 3 doors down. He's bringing down this neighbourhood since he moved in 3 years ago...he turned a beautiful home into a junk pile. I've called the police on him 3 times for excessive noise...I'm so like that...

The party sounded lovely. And you aunt...oh my! I'm a wee bit jealous of her already...would she read The Wailing??

aims said...

btw - did you go back for the slate yet??

Rachel Green said...

Kay's Aunt is actually retired now, and didn't edit fiction anyway - that one was just as a favour.

The house is actually on the next street down, parallel to ours, and I haven't yet gone back for the slate.