Sunday 19 October 2008

Impromptu Breakfast


Grey skies
and homecomings -
A good day

Nathalie called 'Shaggy Ink Cap'
on yesterday's fungi.
I checked against my book and the real thing
and she was spot on!





One of them had been knocked over so i picked it up for a closer view. See the inky blackness at the base of the gills?










I took it home to compare it with the book and was convinced.

The book said 'edible'

Here it is sautéed in butter with a sprinkle of cheese and black pepper on French toast.


Delicious*


The cat thought me mad:
"I'll stick with the apple-pie," she said.


"Welcome Home, DK"


*If I never post again you'll know that I was wrong about the species.

13 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Rachel, I'm just writing a passage in my book about foraging for edible mushrooms. Your post made me laugh. (I really hope you'll be posting as normal tomorrow though...)

Rachel Green said...

Heh! It's three hours later and no tummy-ache yet!

spacedlaw said...

And if you never post again, I think I shall commit suicide over sheer guilt. The book says that the juvenile forms can be taken for the common ink cap which is reputed dangerous if eaten in conjunction with alcohol (some info on line there
You can harvest the ink for your drawings.

Lovely pie!

Rachel Green said...

heh! Still alive!

Unfortunately, I couldn't extract any ink - perhaps they have to be older.

I don't drink alcohol, so that's okay!

spacedlaw said...

They are supposed to liquify into ink as they grow old (they are not really good to eat if at that stage).

Unknown said...

What a fascinating discussion. I'm glad you enjoyed them, though I had rather hoped you'd get some ink!

Beautiful pie, too.

Rachel Green said...

I didn't eat them all, so I'll be watching as the others rot.

Liane Spicer said...

Fascinating - and rather brave of you...

Just letting you know that the Flickr slideshow thingy that you suggested over at the Racers sent me scurrying off with... ideas! Now I have one on my blog that shows my book cover and some of the stores that sell it - and I'm feeling rather proud of myself!

Thanks!

Rachel Green said...

Super!
I shall be doing the same in a month or two!

BT said...

I think they have to be older to make ink too. I have eaten them. We used to have a chap come to stay at our B & B and we called him The Mushroom Man as he knew loads about them and gave Ben a book on identification. Glad you're still here!! Wonderful apple pie.

Rachel Green said...

They were rather nice :)
We had the pie last night.

(M)ary said...

brave soul!

Rachel Green said...

heh! Thanks. I'm still here :)