Saturday 8 November 2008

Poetry Chapbook 08

Lucy’s Hammer

“Cold Iron!” she shouts, creeping stair by stair
down cautious cellar steps and one by one
the spirits shrink away from golden hair
each fearful her threat of harm be done
For in the darkness of the cellar here
this little girl of seven holds the key
and though she’s filled with nameless dread and fear
with weapon held aloft for all to see
she is quite safe. The ghouls and spirits shy
away from words yet gather at the edge
of lantern light with whispered mournful sigh.
She hears them all but crosses still the ledge
with power of the full and silver moon
in simple weapon of a polished spoon.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

*grins* I love this. It reminds me of the time I came home when Carson was around 10 and found her outside consecrating a kitchen knife.

Rachel Green said...

Ha! How fabulous :)

spacedlaw said...

A great one too!

Rachel Green said...

Thank you :)
Writing sonnets takes so much longer than blank verse!

aims said...

I've been listening to Terry Pratchett - as you know - and it's amazing how often the affects of iron are mentioned. How have we forgotten this?

I always flash on a movie I saw when I was young and it had something to do with that. I get this one picture in my mind of an iron tower falling over and everything else is blank. I have no idea of the title or anything else except that it was based on the power of iron.

btw - Since your writing habits have changed you are screwing up my mornings. Just wanted you to know that!

I always started them with When The Dogs Bite, followed by Laverstone Tales and finishing with Diary of a Demon.

They were always there every morning when I sat down with my porridge and cup of coffee.

Now - well sigh - they come out at all hours of the day!

I know you are in the midst of another novel my friend and keep at it. Don't change for me. It is I who must accept change. I'm a big girl now aren't I? :0)

Rachel Green said...

It will return to normal post-novel. It's just that the novel gets priority.