Wednesday 19 November 2008

Poetry Chapbook 19


Too Many Hauntings

The house is gloomy: dark and sooty
dripping ash on her bacon butty.
Lucy scowls and goes outside
wishing Mom had never died.
For if her mom was still around
the creatures here would go to ground
and wouldn’t bother her with pleas
to free them from eternal tease
and rattle chains and bang on doors
and sink right through the Manor floors
and leave their teeth on dinner plates
bemoaning of their cruel fates
and wave their severed heads above
her pillows filling up with blood.


6 comments:

spacedlaw said...

I'm with her on that one. It's not on to leave teeth in other people's plate.

Word recognition is Temennan. It would make a great character's name.

Rachel Green said...

I concur. Teeth in one's gravy...


Great name :)

aims said...

Made me feel sorry for Lucy without her mom. I miss mine every day - Mom's just are - well - moms.

Rachel Green said...

I agree. I lost mine at an early age.

BT said...

We're all so careless, aren't we? Lost mine in 1980 and miss her still. I think Lucy should move...

Rachel Green said...

1978 for me :(