Monday 5 January 2009

Anxiety Dreams




The plaintive cry of a would-be best man
chosen as worthy as a wedding-man can
who finds himself so terribly late
for the no-more-rehearsals, it’s wedding day date.

With shirt tails a-flapping and topper hat lopped
he runs to the church where the wedding was trothed
to see his own wife be wed to a girl
she met at the office; romantically whirled.

No signature needed on these legal wrangles
no batting emotions in alchemy tangles –
A stucco of candy to mesh to the wall
that under bombardment in crimson would fall.

“Objection, your worship,” he shouts from the door,
“It’s all just a dream, ‘cause I’ve been here before.
Like Beauty I’ve been sent to sleep by a prick
So give me my wife or her head on a stick."

With legs all a-kimbo he charges the pulpit
trips on the steps of allegorical carpet
Plunges a bouquet into yielding vicar
and wakes up to find that the cat has been sicker.


4 comments:

BT said...

Oh that is great fun. I know just how he feels, poor man!

I have an oft repeated dream where I'm in a show or play and don't know the words, or it's the wrong play or I can't get there on time.... Had it the night before last. Ghastly.

Rachel Green said...

I'm terrible for anxiety dreams, Gina :(

BT said...

Maybe it's because we're both on 'mad pills' !!!

Rachel Green said...

A distinct possibility, Gina!