Monday 2 February 2009

Hard Cheddar

Dilated,
the image in the mirror
shifts a fraction
as a speculum
the size of a locomotive
and (by the feel of it)
fresh out of the freezer
invades my personal space.
“Just hold it there,”
says the nurse (male)
“and give me a smile.”

I’d have kicked him
had my feet not been in stirrups.
“Just my little joke,” he says,
shining a torch inside.
“It looks uninhabited
but I’ll take a swab, just in case.”

I’ll give him uninhabited,
and I relax
in that defining moment
where I imagine shoving a speculum
up his urethra
and saying ‘cheese.”

7 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Ha! Great one:-)

aims said...

*laughing very hard*

Don't you just hate that!

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Lane :)

Aims: I do!

spacedlaw said...

What gets me is when they ask you to relax.
Here they use plastic so it's less cold but nothing will ever make this a comfortable procedure.

Rachel Green said...

hospitals here are fond of chromed steel and fridges!

BT said...

Oh poor you Rach. You'd think by now they would have invented a less invasive procedure.

Rachel Green said...

It's all fun ;)