Tuesday 14 April 2009

Another Broken Heart


I watched them nail an archangel to a rough-hewn wooden cross
convinced it was a charlatan who talked of love and loss
no matter that I cursed them all and begged him not to die
he claimed it was ordained by God he’d rise into the shy.
“If you are sure, my brother,” as I kissed him on the cheek
“but the Romans in the garden mean your future’s looking bleak.
Tell no-one that your father’s house is one you’ve brought to Earth;
the Pharisees and Sadducees are counting out your worth.
You are my brother Michael, can’t you stop this little game
where everybody kills you but the world still looks the same?
You say you have to do this for the sake of souls of all
but what about the angels? Will they stand and watch, or Fall?
“Sweet Lucifer,” said Jesus, “Though the last few years were fun
Father’s says I’ll resurrect before the weekend’s done.”

4 comments:

aims said...

Oh my Rachel.

I know it doesn't come easy - but you sure make it look like it does.

Rachel Green said...

High praise! Thank you.

BT said...

Very good, love the last 2 lines. It does read easily indeed.

Unknown said...

I know it doesn't come easy - but you sure make it look like it does.Agreed. Stunning.