Monday 27 April 2009

Hireath

It seems too long, my childhood friend,
since you and I stole apples from the overhanging tree
and laughing, made our way along the bend
of crunching towpath to our den – “you and me
against the world,” you always said
though time and social mores took us far
from Callow Hill and saw instead
my first degree in art and your new car
that took you fast through life and love
and mortgages, divorce and kids
and finally an early grave : above
all a settlement that God forbids.
I mourned, but not for you but for
the Hiraeth locked behind a childhood core.




8 comments:

Shullie said...

blown away- absolutly fabulous Rachel...

xxx

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Shullie.

DK said...

absolutely beautiful! xxx

aims said...

Oh my dear friend. I loved it! Love you too!

Rachel Green said...

You are too kind :)

Unknown said...

Rachel. That was truly beautiful. You should do that more.

Rachel Green said...

Ah1 Then I'd have to listen to myself!

BT said...

Rachel, that was wonderful. I agree, you should do it more, it makes your poetry sing.