Tuesday 7 April 2009

Janey

Wide-eyed, I am a child again
walking into evening light
and filled with wonder at the rain
until I’m tucked-up for the night.

No more Rachel, middle aged
and tired of the daily grind;
imagination, now uncaged
can fill my heart and spark the mind.

As Jayne I watch the film cartoons
with chocolate clutched in sticky hand,
or walk the park with blue balloons
and listen to the marching band.

These mental breaks becoming rare
as age creeps in with brittle limb
no more to toss my once-red hair
when once-bright eyes grow old and dim.

11 comments:

aims said...

Oh sweetie - you touched my heart with this one.

It's a state of mind - remember that.

I feel the advances of age - some days much more than others. But in my mind I am always 22.

Too old to carry balloons and get sticky candy hands - but still young. I like going to that place in my mind. It's a short journey as it always lingers.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Aims. I still think I'm 19 and one of the 'bright young thangs'.

Rob Kistner said...

I enjoyed reading this - it touched me...
Come meet Ziggy

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Rob

Pam said...

Isn't it funny what a change in name will do to perspective?? The painting is wonderful.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you!
I want to know why it went out of focus in the scanner!

spacedlaw said...

It's you!
It' still you and you should not forget.

Rachel Green said...

So it is!
I do forget that sometimes.

BT said...

Oh Rachel, you are but a child in comparison to me! How sad this reads, but how poignant.

Rachel Green said...

*laughs* True.

Unknown said...

Beautiful poem and painting. I love them both and second Nat.