Thursday 2 April 2009

Lament

You made me leave my father’s holy light
and cursed the day that I was made and threw
me from the vault of Heaven and the sight
of those decided faithful still to you.
A full third of the stars under my wing,
we fought against your angels long and true;
No balmy haven could we find or bring
our succour to the wretched killed by you.
Six thousand years since I last saw your face;
confined as I to this infernal shore;
How many souls have lived and died in place
of my eternal soul denied your door?
I beg of thee, O Lord of Heaven’s hosts
Forgive your favoured Lucifer his boasts.

7 comments:

Friko said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Friko said...

Oh bother, didn't mean to delete.
Now, this poem I love.

PS. the one I was rude about was actually quite clever.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you for returning. This will be a series of themed poems for April.

aims said...

Themed poems for April?

A great way to start then.

The pleading in this is so heartwrenching almost.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you.

I may not be Milton, but I can be an advocate for Lucifer!

Unknown said...

So sad. It does seem a minor sin, does it not, for such a harsh punishment when put in that light. Advocate you are!

Rachel Green said...

Thank you. There are conflicting reports as to the Fall, but this was one of them