Saturday 4 April 2009

Memories of Joy

I still remember you, the way you smiled
and laughed and brushed your lips across my cheek;
your dances when we travelled all those miles
and bought a hill-view house within a week.
Those were some happy years with joyous dogs
to fill the dark November days with life
and music born of fiddle-bows and jogs
and melodies were played all day. The knife
you rammed through tender cheek, I still shiver --
the blood too fast to staunch and Sheffield steel
into brain - I fall. The copper river
of my hair is soiled and will never feel
your tender touch again. My body left
to rot in shallow grave. I am bereft.

5 comments:

aims said...

Gulp!

and

Gasp!

(the copper river of my hair)....sigh...

Rachel Green said...

Not so copper these days, alas

Unknown said...

Just so beautiful. I wish I had your gift or even half of it.

(Or perhaps the blogger verification word says it all this time: termina. *chuckles*)

Rachel Green said...

Ooh - I love 'termina'!

Hardly a gift! I spend ages counting syllables on my fingers and sounding iambs with drumming palms.

And for every rhyme I run through the alphabet
a- b: bermina (no) c- cermina/sermina (no) wait! 'sermon, a-' ?

BT said...

Oh that's just what I do Rachel!! Love it but so so sad.