Wednesday 29 April 2009

A Time for Talking

What obscurities have brought you knocking at my door?
The afternoon is getting on – a quarter after four
is almost late and yet the is some time to make the tea;
is that why you came like a footpad after me?

Earl Grey today, I think, although the Assam is quite fine
The Xiaguan in its one pound block is better after wine
I’m fonder of the Xizihao though I hesitate to say
it isn’t worth the money when the mottled leaves are grey.

Set the tetsubin on the grate while I prepare the leaves
the bergamot is bracing in the taste buds. When it weaves
its perfumed magic in the nasal cavities
I feel I should atone for all my odd proclivities.

I’ve pestled and I’ve mortared ‘til the leaves are almost dust
now the water’s boiling you must pour it on the must
we’ll give it several minutes while we set out cups of china
Perhaps a slice of Battenberg? I think there’s nothing finer.

Now let us take this half an hour and settle with our brew --
the sun is almost setting and there’s still a lot to do.
I’d like the opportunity to talk of your Jehovah
but my demon’s come as well, would you kindly just budge over?

4 comments:

aims said...

Oh! The last bit made me laugh Rachel! I never invite them in! But they keep knocking at my door even still.

Rachel Green said...

Ask them about Leviticus, and why god hates gay people. They have no answer.

BT said...

Oh yes, what a fantastic twist to the tea tale! I loved some of the rhymes too, they made me laugh out loud, really!

Unknown said...

Superb! I'd budge over for the pleasure.