Sunday 17 May 2009

Carol Ann Duffy made me Cry


Carol Ann Duffy made me cry, I swear
she did! (although I doubt she cared
to invoke such pity tears with just a tale
of allotments kept by married men.)
And then, as if such unprovoked assault
was not enough she lifted up my chin
and kissed away the salty brew. It’s true
enough I say to you “What is this stuff
she writes with such finesse? Can I address
these mundane thoughts with her aplomb?
A bomb, I think, would do a better job
with twenty years of lettered scraps
of parchment from the poet’s maps
of language sought and metaphor.
I bore.


''Carol Ann Duffy'
Watercolour and Pencil
3 ½" x 2 ½"
$25

5 comments:

aims said...

You bore? Never!

Rachel Green said...

Ah! You honour me!

Unknown said...

That's precisely how I feel today reading Atwood! A very lovely tribute, but you give yourself far too little credit.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Stephanie. True talent is always humbling, I think, as it should be.

BT said...

Marvellous