Wednesday 27 May 2009

Thoughts upon an Overgrown Grave on a Hillside


If it was left to me to tend a grave

laid within some lonely cemetery

where I, perhaps, walked with my dogs and gave

passing thought to those who died before me;

I would not decorate the weathered stone

with plastic bowls nor acrylic flowers

but instead, secure that I could dig down

to several feet and pass the hours

by constructing dreams of gardens once held

to be so quaint -- an Englishman’s delight

but not of mighty trees that rip and meld

the ancient stone with earth and block the light

of Heaven from your shady six-foot plot

but plant instead violas, ere you rot.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Rachel, that's lovely! And just the sort of sentiment I would expect from you.

aims said...

Oh my!

You can tend my grave any time dear friend.

aims said...

Oh wait. I forgot. I want a burn and pitch. Ummmm.....could you do the party then?

Rachel Green said...

*Laughs*

Castor oil plant?

BT said...

That is really lovely, Rachel and the picture is fabulous.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Gina.