Friday 11 September 2009

The Aforementioned, to Appear in Court




There were a multitude of reasons
for not returning your call
I considered some before I thought
I didn't care at all.

You called me once, you called me twice
you called me 'bitch' and 'Madame Vice'
but nothing penetrates the husk
of alluring Mistress Ice.

You offered me a pittance if I did not conform
to seeing my solicitor and remedy my scorn
divorce proceedings would extend
to co-respondent limelight, shorn

of all the trappings I'd grown fond
of: furs, martinis in the nude
confections of a gallant sort
to get me in the mood.

'Begone,' I said, though to be fair
you did not hear – you were not there
and I did not return your calls
for truth be told, I did not care.





5 comments:

Unknown said...

Brava! How delightful. I wonder how many women wish there were as brave.

Rachel Green said...

Thankyou. I wish I'd been that brave when I divorced.

Rachel Green said...

Thankyou. I wish I'd been that brave when I divorced.

DJ Kirkby said...

Wow. Great poem.

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Deej :)