Thursday 12 November 2009

November Poems 12

If Only I had Begged

If only I had begged a small advance
on sales of future works of mine
I might have taken you to dance
in fancy restaurants and dine
on all the caviar of life
and swim in hedonistic seas
and pirouette upon the knife
of Occam's choice and tease
the very nectar of the gods
from outstretched hands and seek
no more approving nods
from publishers and agents, bleak

But instead I trusted to
the softly spoken words – a view
of independent authorship you see
who make their dough from mugs like me.
If only I had begged a small advance
my book might well have had a fighting chance.

3 comments:

aims said...

You need to write a poem entitled 'No Regrets'.

Because you shouldn't have any. You are 'published'. You have that to your name and I'm damn proud of it.

Unknown said...

I wholeheartedly endores Aims' perspective. :)

And still, we are all filled with "if onlys" and if this is your if only, it's a good life.

Rachel Green said...

Ah! Thank you. I have a few others!