Wednesday 18 November 2009

November Poems 18

Our Intrepid Hero Declares a Wedding.

A parsimonious lady and a miserly old man
tried for a relationship of trust but she said "Stan...
What foolish notion prompted you purchase such a thing
as a 1927 twenty carat diamond ring?"

"Viola, dear," said Stan as he looked about the room,
"It's not acceptable to furtle in a chap's private costume.
The ring I bought for you, m'dear, to seal out love forever
but fear not about the cost because it's on the never-never."

"What should I care, you stupid man? Just put it on already --
there nothing more inflation proof -- diamonds are a steady
source of inspiration for the up and coming girls;
I've been given several rings since I stopped collecting pearls."

"What I meant to say, old thing," said Stan upon his knee
"is do you want a wedding and my loving wife to be?"
"The pages of the book," said she, "are almost at an end --
Of course I will consent to be your tax-deduction friend."

7 comments:

Jen said...

That really made me smile...

Rachel Green said...

Thanks Jen :)

Unknown said...

Ha! Fabulous. Loved her sense of timing. ;)

Rachel Green said...

Thaks Steph :)

aims said...

Nothing like true - real - (romantic) love.

spacedlaw said...

Such romantic pair!

Rachel Green said...

Exactly! Thank you both :)