Thursday 19 November 2009

November Poems 19


Planning the Future

"I cannot love you," the heroine said
running a hand across his cheek
and tucking the cow-lick of hair
back into the golden mass.
"I have seen the synopsis
and you would break my heart."

"I wouldn't," he replied,
catching her hand and pressing the
palm to his perfect lips
"For I will love the until the end of time."

"Which is in a hundred and sixty pages,"
she said, "but you die three chapters
from the end of the book.
I couldn't love a character
who leaves me so bereft
and hasn't a hope
of appearing in the sequel.

6 comments:

spacedlaw said...

The heartless minx!

Rachel Green said...

Not at all - she's saving herself!

aims said...

Oh Rachel. I can't tell you how often you make me laugh first thing in the morning.

Thank you my dear friend.

Rachel Green said...

What? Do you watch me in the shower then?

Thanks Aims :)

Unknown said...

*claps* I love it. Very pragmatic, this heroine. I could take a pointer. "Are you applying for the job of partner? Yes? May I see the plotline and synopsis please?"

Rachel Green said...

Oh, indeed yes!
I should like to have a three-book contract in place, too!