Tuesday 8 December 2009

As I walked through the Park, with the Dogs

Passing the playground, I saw a coat hung on the railings
where people could see and claim it if it was theirs
and I was led to wonder what child would forget their coat?

It was blue, and green and yellow, with a red hood
(though there were not wolves in Chesterfield, not of the lupine sort)
and two woollen mittens hanging from the sleeves
on a piece of string.

It would have fitted a pre-school child and I was left to wonder
what kind of mother takes a child home without their coat?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I have all sorts of terrible musings. Thank you. :)

Well done, as ever.

aims said...

I have musings too Stephanie.

You probably didn't hear about the autistic boy who went missing in Nova Scotia over the past couple of days?

They found him - hypothermic and starving huddled against a tree. He died a couple of hours later. He was out there for over 2 days with masses of people searching for him. Poor wee little guy.

This is what that coat makes me think of.

Rachel Green said...

Sorry.

I didn't want you both to worry so.

spacedlaw said...

Every child I've known, in particular from ages 5 to 10. Their parents tend to bundle them up and they get so hot playing that they undress and then forget about picking up the excess clothing.
If the parents aren't careful, many coats can be lost that way.

Rachel Green said...

That's a good point, thanks. Less to worry about then!

Unknown said...

Leave it to Nat. Whew. I feel better. ;)

BT said...

It must go on K's 'lost shoe' blog. I used to have mittens on a string!

Rachel Green said...

hehe! As did I!