Tuesday 15 December 2009

The Garden of Turkish Delights


The Garden of Turkish Delights

they tempted him with an idea --
a cedar-scented memory of Friday afternoons
in the room above the chapel
at St Andrew's School for Boys
and Bosch's triptych
projected onto the dry-wipe board.

The sadistic pleasures of Hell
where tortured souls writhed on pitchforks and
cavorted with the heads of birds and fish;
the austere calm of Heaven
where angels sang with sweet devotion
and the Garden of Earth Delights
where mortals were tempted by sins of the flesh;
The gluttony and the fornication
and the perversions of apples.

But when he got to the club
and paid his admittance (plus the one-off membership fee)
his visions of belly dancers and slave girls
were shattered by the reality
of rose-scented jellies
and women in hair nets like canteen staff
who offered to feed him from long-handled tongs.

At the hotel
he picks at the scabs of spoiled childhood
and remembers the guilty pleasure
of lying on his front with one hand down his trousers
and Botticelli's 'Birth of Venus'.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

This is truly a work of singular beauty. I love this poem, Rachel.

Rachel Green said...

hank you. Truly.

aims said...

Amazing.

And your pic has reminded me of one that I have never been able to find after leaving The Beater behind.

It was called 'The Fairy Tree Feller'.

Flowers said...

Nice blog. I really like your poem. Enjoyed going through it. keep up the good work. Cheers :)

Rachel Green said...

Thank you all.

Aims: http://www.theacademylb.com/images/2009/06/fairy_feller_large.jpg

aims said...

I 'think' that is it!

The Beater had a huge one up on a wall - it was in different colours but the 'feller' looks the same.

I always thought it a disturbing and sad picture. The killing of belief - which really reflected my situation didn't it?

Ah - I think I just wrote something I'll be using in The Wailings.

Thank you my friend.

Rachel Green said...

Glad to be of service, my friend.

aims said...

And now that I've had a chance to look at a bigger image of it - it definitely is it! Did you know of it before?

Rachel Green said...

I did, as it happens, though i don't like it much -- the 'branches' are too obtrusive.

aims said...

As I recall - in his picture - which was more bluish I think - the faeries were really hard to see - you had to really look at it to pick them out.

Strange that your one pic has brought back this memory. I'll not go on about the other memories involved with The Beater.

Rachel Green said...

I'm sorry if my posting this brought you pain. I used to have a poster of Bosch's 'Hell' on my wall.

aims said...

Oh my dear friend - no pain. Do you know how glad I am that I survived him? And I know - as does Jasfoup - that he'll get his.

Now what is 'Hell' - give me a link? I'm interested in that.

Rachel Green said...

I can only find little details of Hell but here's the whole triptych
http://home.actlab.utexas.edu/~litlgirlblue/SoundClass/Bosch.gif

If you google image 'Bosch hell' you'll see the details

BT said...

I concur with stephanie's remars. It's beautiful. Interesting comments from aims too.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you Gina.

aims said...

Was it this one?

http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bosch/bosch23.html

aims said...

Or this one?
http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bosch/bosch28.html

aims said...

Or this one?

http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bosch/bosch28.html

aims said...

Perhaps this one?

http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bosch/bosch38.html

Rachel Green said...

38, yes. Well found.

aims said...

Wow! How long did you keep that on your wall?!

Rachel Green said...

three or four years. It probably explains a lot.

aims said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing my friend.