Friday 2 September 2016

Chloe's Extra Wish

Damaged Goods

“I've wasted them all. I've wasted all my wishes.” Chloe sat on the edge of her bed and cried, her stomach so roiled by unspent emotion she was feeling physically sick. “Why didn't you warn me about thinking them through?”

“I did.” The demon squatted on his haunches, bringing his head down to her level. He took one of her hands in his own, the dark skin stretched taut over his four finger joints. He stroked the back of her hand with his thumb. “Remember when you wished for Baxter alive again? I asked you if you were quite sure but you were adamant. And look what happened?”

“You knew I didn't mean half-decomposed with worms in his brain.”

“It's well documented demons take things literally.” Jasfoup patted her hand and stood, his tail flicking like an agitated cat.”

“What about the ice cream? You didn't even tell me that was one of my seven. You tricked me.”

“Again, well documented. We even watched Bedazzled together.”

“That old black and white film? I fell asleep.”

“Okay. I'll tell you what I'll do.” He took out his Bloodberry and scrolled through several screens. “I've got Mrs. Peterson's account here. She had the seven wish deal thirty years ago and only used five of them. I'll give you one of hers. She'll never know.”

“Won't she?”

“Nah. She's only got a couple of weeks left to live. I doubt she'll need them.”

“I can have one more? Make everything better?”

“If you like. Remember to word it properly this time.”

“Okay.” Chloe screwed her eyes shut and concentrated on what she really wanted. “I want everything how it used to be when Davey was still alive and Mum and Dad were happy together and we lived in the house in Manchester with Baxter and I didn't even believe in demons.”

“And Snowy?”

“Oh yes.” Chloe had forgotten about the cat. It had been hit by a transvestite on a motor scooter and died on the spot. “Yes please.”

“Are you quite sure?”

“Yes. That's what I want.”

“Okay.” The demon winked and Chloe had a really bad feeling in her stomach.

No comments: