Thursday 6 April 2017

poetry 2017 / 045


for our 6th NaPoWriMo prompt I’d like to challenge you to write a poem that looks at the same thing from various points of view.


Points of View

She was married when I met her;
a wife, mother, stepmother,
daughter, friend –
a saint to more than one,
patient, loving, kind.

I was the mistress, the interloper,
the bit-on-the-side, the babysitter,
the maid, the feeder of husbands,
the bringer of cake (and scotch, and cigarettes).
Ultimately the discarded, the reject,
the loser in a game of broken marriages
(again).

Then the lover, the friend,
the stepmother, the butch,
the fixer-of-odd things and keeper of rabbits;
the font of all knowledge
and mender of broken toys,
the washer, the maid, the re-setter of the router
and, one day soon,
the empty chair in the corner room.

2 comments:

Lindy said...

I reallylike your work. Wish you had a button to press to follow or like you, but I'll favourite you in the hope I will return to your site someday.

Rachel Green said...

Thank you. I've no idea how to code such things -- I'm still in the age of RSS feeds!