Thursday 13 April 2017

Poetry 2017 / 058

 For today’s prompt, write a family poem. It could be about your family, someone else’s family, a big family, a small family. It could be about one person in the family or a group picture. Your call. Just write that poem

Elizabeth (1953-2014)

We bickered for years, my sisters and I.
Though the eldest thought we were beneath
her notice and contempt
as was our father who smoked all his life.
“I'm not exposing my children to that,” she said
and it broke his heart.
When he died she went to the house
put post-it notes on everything of value.
The antique furniture, the silverware,
our mother's jewellery. The residue of smoke
didn't seem to bother her then.
She fought to cut my younger sister
out of everything she was due. I said no.
She took her third and we never saw her again,
just the obituary from her husband when she died.

No comments: